Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Life Changes

Suddenly I find myself transitioning in several areas of my life. My oldest is off to college in a couple of weeks--that will definitely be different. I will be leaving my teaching job in a small school to teach my own children at home.

I wasn't planning on the second change; it's just how things worked out this year. Due to lack of funds at the school and lack of comprehension of math on my younger daughter's part, I decided to take my childrens education into my own hands.

Thankfully my sister-in-law is a homeschooling "professional" so she has been a great help. I am really excited about all the possibilites. Since neither of my children have real problems in any class, we won't have to struggle with learning issues.

The "lack of comprehension" that my daughter had in math last year had less to do with math and more to do with her teacher. When I voiced my concern to the principal, he told me that my daughter just didn't understand the teacher because 7th grade girls often don't connect with male teachers. I wondered what in the world that had to do with the fact that she was nearly failing in a class that I knew she should be passing. As a teacher, it is my job to make sure that my students understand me. While my daughter is often unmotivated and careless in math, she isn't stupid in math. The teacher never returned papers or even told me he was concerned--and I worked with him every day! Ah well, now her learning is in my hands and I am a strict task master.

Enough about me, I got a kick out of the posting on littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog . They have been tracking down "photoshopped" pictures from the major news agencies. How fun. I can even tell the difference on these poorly worked pieces. What in the world was that guy thinking? In today's high tech world, you have to be pretty good to go undetected by the technically astute among us. My daughter received photoshop on her laptop and she does a better job. Not only that but she told me that this guy needs to hire someone she knows from a website she posts on. She said that he could get much better quality work if he'd just hire some of the people online who do it on a regular basis. I agree.

No comments: